Monday, January 9, 2017

KateGoesKeto: One Week Check In

Okay so today is day 6, so basically one week into keto. So far no weightloss but I feel lighter. Now, that might be psychological but I mean it when I say I feel lighter and more energetic. I write that as I am currently 7 hours into a 12 hour shift so I mean it! So I thought a week in I would write a little pro and con list of my honest feelings about Keto so far.


Let's start with the bad, shall we?


Cons-
-So. Much. Cooking.
   Now this is mostly my own fault because I am not the type that can eat boiled eggs and slices of cheese. I wouldn't last like that, within 2 days you would find me eat a big mac. So it is a lot of cooking, most of which I enjoy, but some of the keto staple grocery items are a little pricier and I miss the option of popping by a fast food place on my way home from a 12 hour shift to grab something.


-Weight loss?
   This is more a con of the LACK of weight loss lol. I see SO many people on keto drop a good bit of water weight within the first week and....I have gained 2 lbs. Now, that is with weighing myself a few minutes ago during the middle of the day 2 meals in however I would expect to at least be like 1 lb lighter...but I am not letting this weigh on me TOO much because A) I am still learning the low carb life and B) I only have a loss goal of about 10-15 lbs so I cant really expect to lose it all in one day.






PROS-
 
-Feelin' Good
  I may not have lost any weight yet but I FEEL good. I don't feel bloated, I have felt pretty alert and energized during the day. Just an overall good feeling.


-0 Guilt
  Pre-Keto I would stress out every day about food. I pretty much ate whatever I wanted but I would feel a lot of guilt later about what I ate. I like that Keto offers a good guideline for food and it is easy enough to follow the low carb part of it. So at the end of the day when I have 5-10 carbs left because I was good all day then I have absolute 0 guilt eating some of my Halo Top ice cream or some Atkins PB cups!


-Direction
   I like that keto is something pretty easy to understand as far as the LCHF (low carb high fat) part of it. It's easy to calculate net carbs in something (carb-fiber) and there are literally tons of Facebook groups and pinterest ideas, etc. on keto recipes and tips. Every question I have had so far was EASILY answered with a google search or asking on a facebook group!




So that is my rough pro and con list real quick. Overall I am still happy with it, still going to stick with it. I am a little bummed I haven't experienced that immediate drop in water weight but most people that say that they immediately experienced a drop of 4-10 lbs in the first 1-2 weeks have much more than 10-15 lbs in mind for a goal weight loss. I am a little disturbed at gaining 2 lbs but I am going to attribute that to weighing myself in the dead middle of the afternoon and to the fact that I am making a huge dietary change and have not been 100% strict with myself so far. So this week I am determined to buckle down a little more, seriously focus on low carb & fitting into my calorie count and not so much on macro counting because honestly as a beginner it is hard to think about fat and protein intake.


Here are a couple pics from my favorite meals I have eaten this week! Keto can be super yummy!






Jimmy Johns is my new bae, they offer for any of their sandwiches to be ordered as an "unwhich" wrapped in lettuce!
The bootlegger was good, the #9 Italian night club was better.





Breakfast taco! With sausage, eggs, cheese, and Taco Bell mild sauce & chipotle sauce!





My yummiest coffee for sure!




Grilled salmon with veggies! (half eaten because I forgot to take a picture)

 

 






























2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading your first week. It was similar to mine. I have the addition of sleeping more soundly without getting up to go pee. I also found a Starbucks mix I like. Iced Coffee with 4 shots of sugar free vanilla and mocha made with heavy cream. Delicious! We can do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! So far so good, its just an adjustment!

      Delete