Tuesday, August 6, 2013

{August Reading List: Some Good, Some Not So Good}

Hello people! I just wanted to take a moment and share with you my reading list for this month!



1) A book that I already read was Julie and Julia, I really liked this movie and I enjoyed the book as well. Although I would not recommend this book to anyone under the age of say....17? 18? There is A LOT of vulgar language and A LOT of crude/sexual content in it as well. So parents- keep this one away from your younger children's hands. I probably wont reread this book, I liked the story but if the pages make me wince from reading vulgar language and crude material it just isn't worth it to me. Maybe someone could go through with some white out and change some words around? Then again that might be a lot of work with this book. I give this book a 6/10 if only it weren't for all the language...



2) The next book on my reading list that I will start today is Take This Bread by Sara Miles. On the front of the book it says "The spiritual memoir of a twenty-first-century Christian." I thought this book sounded really interesting, and when I found it in a second hand bookstore at the foot of the mountain in North Carolina that I recently vacationed at I just couldn't pass it up. I am excited to read this book and I cannot wait to give you my thoughts on it later on!



3) Next on my reading list is Redefining {beaut.ti.ful} by Jenna Lucado with Max Lucado. I purchased this book a LONG time ago when I attended Revolve Tour and I just have not gotten around to reading it yet! I have skimmed the pages a few times but I just have not taken the time to sit down and really get into it. Hopefully I will soon have a review on it for you!



4) The last novel on my list is Mondays with My Old Pastor by Jose Luis Navajo. My "old" pastor recommended this book to me long ago and I had trouble finding it at first and then soon forgot that he had recommended it to me. I remember him telling me that this book really inspired me. On the front cover it says "Sometimes, all we need is a reminder from someone who has walked before us." That statement alone was enough to sell me on this book but then reading back I read another statement,
"Mondays with My Old Pastor brings every believer to the feet of the Teacher. In lyrical prose, Navajo shares the personal anecdotes, fables, and deep spiritual insights offered by the old pastor and his wife. By turns funny, heartbreaking, and thought provoking, Mondays with My Old Pastor is a comfort to anyone who struggles in his or her walk with God. As readers follow Navajo's journey from desperation to rejuvenation, they will find themselves similarly transformed and inspired. This moving, beautifully written account is sure to reignite ever soul's longing for renewal."

UMMMMM- Yeah that sold me. I will be reading this book VERY soon. Cannot wait to share it with you!!!



5) The LAST book I will be reading is not a novel, it is more of a....guide book? I am going to be re-reading The Christian as Minister: An Exploration Into the Meaning of God's Call. Why? Because I have moved on to the next step of declaring candidacy! I met with my District Superintendent and the next step is to get myself enrolled, get a mentor, and meet with my churches SPR! I am SO excited! I figured it would be a good idea to refresh myself and read into this book a little more.


I hope this helped y'all a little bit and maybe you will pick up one of these books soon as well! I always forget how much I love to read until I am completely consumed inside a good book. I encourage everyone to read AT LEAST two books a month, that gives you about a week and a half to two weeks to read a book. When you break it down that's only about a chapter or two a day! If you learn the kind of books you like then it really isn't hard to get into a good book! ;)

Love and Blessings,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment